Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design





Thinking about the user experience while creating a game in Scratch is incredibly important. The programer has to think about how the user experience might feel while playing this game. UX- a short cut for user experience- refers to a user's emotion and attitude while using a product. It includes: visual design, functionality, usability and typography, etc.

The similarities features between my 3 games are there is a ''goal'' that both sprites are trying to achieve. It's just either for the dog to NOT touch the ball, or for the snowman to reach the Christmas tree or for the stickman to reach his destination. Also, all of my game can only be played by the arrow keys. The contrast features in my 3 games are the themes are very different. The codes goes from easy to complicated. And only 1 of the games has the additional feature called ''death'' which you can check how many times your character has died.

I think in my last game, Operation Freedom, the pen code was the best code. It worked really well and smooth. During this project the most difficult bug fixes to me were to make the characters jump and move very very smoothly and also to create the second level without interacting with the first one. Creating scratch games can be enjoyable and frustrated. Enjoyable because you are creating your own games. Frustrated because sometimes you don't know how to combine what codes that go together to create a movement. After all, coding isn't really my jam but glad I got to try it :)



11 comments:

  1. I love that you made a dog chasing a ball. Very creative! I think that maybe at the end you could make the dog say something like "You win!!" or something fun. But amazing background and the dog moves very smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great how the characters were a dog and a ball. One thing that you might be able to improve on is making the dog go faster or the ball go slower, but that's up to you because It's fun when it is challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The characters made sense and the game was smooth but you could also make the ball slow down

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like how the dog chases the ball. But you should make the dog run a bit more smoother and the ball a bit slower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your chose of you being the chaser! ( Not many in my period did that.) However I found it quite difficult to catch the ball so maybe you could change the points nessicary to win to 8 points. I especially loved your ball AI, it was challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tu! I love the christmas theme you chose for your platformer game! Your sprite only moves side to side, but that's oaky because mine doesn't move at all :/. Good job on your programming! (I like your chase game too :D)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heyo, I'd like to say I loved your platformer game, it was fun but also felt a bit incomplete, of vourse I don't want to be mean, I feel like you need to add a End all command after you get to the christmas tree, a better detection system or a working gravity engine, and here's a chunk of code you should add.

    When green flag clicked
    Forever
    If
    Change
    End all

    You could also just use a broadcast command instead of a variable but I prefer that, and remember to make the variable reset to zero by pressing the green flag. But great game, theres a lot more I could say but I don't want to fill out your entire blog, seeya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your game was really good and your scripts moved smoothly, however you could try putting this code:
    If timer = 0 stop all and If touching sprite? stop all, but your game was really fun to play and a great game

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tu! I love your christmas/winter theme, but when I win the game doesn't stop or the background doesn't change try using a when touching green (or color of tree) change background to You win background. Yet your snowman is smooth and easy to control. Nice game!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tu! Great Platform game! One thing I really enjoyed about your game was how you made everything fit to a winter theme. It looks very nice! One bug that I noticed is that after you win the game, the program keeps running and doesn't stop (here is a helpful link with advice on how to fix that: http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Stop_All_(block) hope this helps!). Another thing I liked about your game is how smoothly you made your snowman move. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete